The pre-defined project “Increasing the Application of Alternatives to Imprisonment (Including Possible Pilot Project on Electronic Surveillance)” developed in the frame of Programme LV08 “Reform of the Latvian Correctional Services and Police Detention Centers” of the Norwegian Financial Mechanism was launched on 3 June 2013.
The main goals of the project are:
- To introduce electronic monitoring system providing opportunity for inmates to serve their sentence in community, if they comply with criteria set in law and agrees to participate in electronic monitoring programme;
- To develop and implement re-settlement system for youth aged 14-25 after their release from prison;
- To improve knowledge and capacity of probation and prison staff.
The Project envisages activities along two parallel lines of action that are content-wise mutually related: the implementation of alternative solutions for the penalty involving deprivation of liberty and the further development of the current resettlement system.
In the frame of the project is planned to develop a new alternative to imprisonment, to provide technical solutions for the implementation of electronic monitoring, to improve the resettlement system and improve the capacity of probation and prison officers.
In the end of the project expected to reach outcomes:
- Increased application of alternatives to prison and number of inmates in prisons is reduced;
- Improved competences of inmates, prison and probation staff;
- Improved cooperation between beneficiary and donor states.
Total estimated project cost is 2 650 428 EUR, of which 2 252 864 EUR is the funding from the Norwegian Financial Mechanism, and 397 564 EUR is Latvian co-financing. Duration of the project is starting from 3 June 2013 till 30 April 2016.